Sunday 14 November 2010

Rösti

Dear Whimsical Readers,

How are you today whimsical readers? The dish I am about to share its one of the swiss national dish! It's call ROSTI! This is a famous Swiss breakfast for people like farmers back in the 50's. It is termed as "poor man's food" because it's mainly made out of potatoes only! It's just as simple as that! Well, nowadays it is not really considered a poor man's dish anymore.

Rösti
There are many ways you can "spice" up your Rösti, for example, you can add a variety of meat on top with it to suit your taste. As for me, I like to stick to as old school as possible. I like the authentic taste to it. Which is add "nothing". Don't worry, I will recommend which meat would be most suitable to add on to your version of the Rösti. I would highly suggest Streaky Bacon. Smokey Salmon and German/Brititsh Sausages goes really well too!

Ingredients: Serves 2
2 Tbsp of Salted Butter (1 tsbp for each Rösti)
2 Russet Potatoes
2 Eggs
100gm Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper
Sour Cream

Method:
1. Grate the potatoes when it's raw! That's if you got time. I would prefer to slice it (even though it takes a lot of time) I dislike the texture of grated potatoes, I prefer them sliced thinly.
2. Beat the Eggs and mix it into the grated/sliced potatoes, add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Fry the rosti right after the butter melts, throw in 1 handful of cheese and fry till it turns golden brown and crisp on both side. *careful when you turnover the rosti*
5. Serve the Rösti, top up with 1 table spoon of sour cream!

YUMMY! Enjoy!

Note: if 1 Russet potato makes the Rösti too big to handle in your pan, you can spilt them in half so you would end up with 2 smaller Röstis per person.


Yours Truly,
The Whimsical Readers

0 comments:

Post a Comment